Sunday 14 July 2013

A crafty weekend. With mixed success!

Sometimes when I attempt a totally new craft, having had no idea how it's going to turn out, it ends up looking amazing. Often however it doesn't quite go to plan...

I decided to make a tablecloth this weekend. I couldn't decide on any of the fabrics in the shop so I brought some white cotton and some green dye and decided to attempt some batik!

Stage 1: Painstakingly applying hot wax to the fabric, drip by drip. I made a few mistakes but decided that the overall effect would still be good.
Step 2: The dyeing! To my horror the wax started falling off in the lukewarm dye bath. To tackle this problem I decided not to agitate it too much whilst it was soaking....

Finished product: (After rinsing, removing the remaining wax and ironing) I'm feeling very sad about the patchyness of the cloth and the faintness of the design. I suppose it's my fault for not stirring enough and maybe I should have used something other than tesco value candle wax... Still, it looks pretty in places!



I also made a cushion cover and, after the depressing batik results, I did some a little piece of tie dyeing!


Wow what a lot of crafting for one weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment